Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Running Journal - Non-Runners Marathon Trainer - Week 16

























OMG!!!! I can't believe that this week is finally here. My body is healing up and my aches and pains seem to be subsiding. I was supposed to go to see Dr. Morris on Monday but did not make it due to a meeting at work. On Monday morning Jill and I ran 1 mile, walked 1 mile, and then ran the last mile. Was feeling good physically, but just not in the mood to be up this early in the morning. Then on Wednesday we ran the full three miles and believe it or not it was the fastest time for 3 miles during the 16 week training program. We were not trying to push ourselves, it just happended without thinking about it. On Thursday morning I was by myself when I walked the last training session of three miles. As I reflected, I thought was an accomplishement it was that I had completed all of the 16 week program except for missing one 8 miles run when Tara had her procedure at ARA and only jogging four of five miles on a day when I had to get back to the house to for a work call.

Friday – 21 Oct 11 – Friday morning I slept in as my first meeting was not until 8am. Tara had an appointment with Allison Webb. At lunchtime, I headed to the airport and picked up Christin Carbiener, who flew in from Phoenix. We stop by Mighty Fine at the Arbor Walk and then came home so that I could get in a few more hours of work. After work we headed up the Rouge Running to pick up my race packet and then to HEB to pick up dinner for the Gary and Marlene Peek. We came home, showered, and changed clothes and, Tara, Christin, and I headed down MOPAC for a 6:30pm reservation at Chez Zee. We met Jon and Suzette Seldon for dinner and have a wonderful time. After dessert we came home and I started to prepare for my race the next day.

Saturday – 22 Oct 11 – I arose at 5:50am and jumped in the shower and got all my things ready for the race. I headed over to Brushy Creek Lake Park at 6:15 and arrived at 6:30. I met Christopher Webber at the Splash Park. The race started a few minutes after 7am and Chris and I settled into a nice 15 minute pace. Chris ran the first 8.75 miles with me and kept me going pretty steady. At the first loop, Tara was waiting for me to switch out my IPhone with the Ipod Classic and so I was on my own for the next 8.75 miles. I was doing fine, but noticed that I was moving a little slower, but felt pretty good overall. None of the nagging injuries that I had been hampered with the past eight weeks were bothering me. I finished the first lap in 2:17, but the second took over 2:30. At the start of the 3rd lap, my friend Christin joined in the fun to finish the race with me. It was so going, but we talked the whole way while listening to music and crossed the finish line at 7:17.



I had finished my first marathon. Waiting for me at the finish line, were Tara, Phoenix, Zion, Exodus, Meka, the entire Hinze family, and Kyle Eli (my friend Jill would have been there but she could not find the turn in to the park and made it a little later). When I crossed the finish line, I broke out in tears of joy and pain. I had finished my first marathon and all of the people that I loved were there to see me. It was wonderful. Several of the other racers actually met me about .2 miles from the finish and jogged in with me while telling me I could finish. My only wish was that my father was still living so that they could have shared in the accomplishment. I received lots of accolades on my Facebook page. When I got home I was given another surprise. My wife had made the following for me:



It made me tear up again. Then I took a quick shower and Christin and headed into Austin to LCM to have a much deserved massages. On our way home we stopped by Rudy’s to pick up dinner for everyone. We didn’t get home until about 6:30pm which is about an hour later than the boys are used to eating so of course they were starving. We all got full on the best barbeque in Texas and then to wash it all down we all loaded in the minivan and headed to The Yogurt Experience for dessert. On our way home Suzette called Christin and wanted to meet us at the Crate and Barrel at the Arbouretum so we came home and loaded Christin up and headed down the toll to drop her off. I was so hungry and wire when I came home after a quick stop at HEB, I ate again and then I stayed up until 12:15am watching television.

Sunday 23 Oct 11 - One day after the maraton and my body was in some real pain. I noticed three over four blisters on my feet and all of my joints were hurting and I was stiff all over. The one thing that I did notice was that that my IT Band which had been hurting for almost six weeks was fine. I made it to church and then came home and camped out in front of the TV for the remainder of the day. During my chruch lesson the subject was about lengthening your stride by Spencer W. Kimball. It kept me thinking about two of the runners in front of me who were able to run/walk the entire marathon and they finsihed almost an hour in front of me and feeling much better than I did. They had mentioned after the marathon that they were utilizing the Galloway method and that I was more than welcome to come and train with them on Wednesdays and Sundays. They had also metioned that only on 1/10 of 1 percent of the US population had ever finsihed a marathon.

Monday 24 Oct 11 - Took the day off and spent time with Tara. We went to lunch at Fogo de Chao and then to see the new Three Musketeers movie in Georgetown. I was still sore but moving a little better. Several people on FB suggested that I walk for a little while on Sunday and I should have taken their advice.

Tuesday 25 Oct 11 - Had to go into work today, but felt much better. After work I headed to Dr. Morris's office for a treatment on my leg as I have noticed a lump on the back side of my thigh slightly above my knee.

Wednesday 26 Oct 11 - Had a massage to work on the lump on the back side of my thigh. If it has not gone away within a week or so, I will go in to see Dr. Diaz or the VA and possibly have an xray.

The bottom line is that I am ready to start working out again. I am signing up this week to run in the Georgetown Turkey Trot (5 miler), and the 2012 Resolution Run on the 1st of January. I plan on competing in the Austin Marathon on the 19th of February 2012 and I plan on using the Galloway training method with the goal of finishing in 6:30 or less.

No comments: