Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Garden of Eden - Week 0

I made the day after the Superbowl a Morgan family holiday and I used the morning to rent a tiller. I wanted to extend two of the beds by about eight feet in length and then I created a totally new bed in the back yard so that there is one bed along each of the four sides of the back yard.

Standing on the back patio and moving clockwise:

Bed #1: This bed was used for mostly for green beans last year and was extended this year. It contains four row of sweet peas, four rows of green beans, and two rows of okra.

Bed #2: The entire bed this year is being used as a strawberry patch. I have four or five plants survive through the winter and I planted about 12 more strawberry plants. Not sure how well this will work out as this bed gets the least amount of sun, but has the best drainage.

Bed #3: This is a total new bed this years. Back row contains three of squash, middle row contains three mounds cucumbers, and the front three rows are all watermelon.

Bed #4: This bed produced the most last year. I also extended this bed by eight feet. The back row closest to the kitchen windows have all of the tomatoes. On each end I have cherry tomato plants, next to those on each end I have yellow tomatoes, and then there are five red (50-day maturity) tomato plants. For now on each end in the front row are two pepper plants. Additionally, I have planted two rows of eggplant on the north end of the bed. I have room to plant several rows of peppers, but I have not decided what to plant yet. I still have have several weeks to decide.

The tomatos and peppers I purchased from Lowes and everything else I planted from seed on 15 March 2008.

1 comment:

Margo Clift said...

Sounds like a lot of good stuff will be coming from all your hard work and your "Garden of Eden"/ "Garden of Eatin".