Total Pageviews

Monday, November 3, 2008

My First 5K (aka Run Forrest Run)

Well, I finally did it.......I ran my first 5k since I was about 15 years old.....for those of you who know me that has been a pretty long time.

It was a beautiful morning yesterday and we had about 10 people who came out for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Walk Run. Our team, Bobcats for Breast Cancer, raised money to support my friend Elisa who has breast cancer. One of my other good friends, Tiffany had a team "Michelle's Angels" to support her sister (Michelle Bynum) who has breast cancer and you can see their photo: http://www.komenaustin.org/site/PageServer

I ran in the timed 5k and I finished in 35 minutes and 41 seconds. I finished 83 out of 95 for my age division. It was a pretty hilly course so I felt good that I was able to finish without slowing down or stopping. The picture below is of me with my friend Kasey Ann who ran the 5k with me.

So now that I have established a baseline it is time to kick it up a notch. I will be walking in a 5k with Phoenix (40lbs) in the backpack and pushing Zion in the jogger on the 15th of November and on the morning on the 16th I will be running in another 5k with my friend Todd.

Short term goals include running at least one five 5k every other month, running a 5k with my wife sometime in the month of December and in the next three or four months to run a 10k, with the eventual goal of running in a half-marathon. (Our friend Katie thinks I should be able to do 13 miles by this spring.....we will see).

7 comments:

Marci said...

I'm very impressed! Keep up the running and you'll be running a marathon before you know it!! -Marci and Kyle Riding

Megs said...

Byron, this is so awesome. Races are so fun and very motivating. I am really impressed with your time and your energy. I was worn out just reading your post :) I am really happy and excited for you.

Bingham Bunch said...

Way to go!!!!! That is awesome....watch out, running 5k's is an addicting thing. Those Sierers are awesome coaches--they'll definitely make sure you push the envelope. I'm excited to see you continue to get faster and rip it up all over the metroplex!

Charly said...

Congratulations!!!

Margo Clift said...

Congratulations!



Don't forget your "spiritual 5k.

Please: "Remember the Sabbath Day, and keep it HOLY".

Cassandra said...

Kudos Byron!!

indeazgirl said...

Byron-
You look so incredibly HEALTHY in these pictures. Nice job on your time! Sweetness!
cc