Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Black Mormons

One of my mom's cousins came for a visit last week and she brought me a recent article from the The Oakland Tribune titled, "Filmmakers chronicle black Mormon's lives."

Darius Gray, whom I met three years ago, and Margaret Young have produced a documentary titled, "Nobody Knows: The Untold Story of Black Mormons."

The article and the film discuss the good and bad of black Mormons in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The movie is still be shopped for distribution, but you can see a trailer at the following link:

http://www.untoldstoryofblackmormons.com/

History shows that the under the leadership of Prophet Joseph Smith, blacks held FULL membership in the faith and that it was under the leadership of the Brigham Young did that policy change. Of note that I believe all should remember and know is that Elijah Abel was ordained to the priesthood in 1832. He was BLACK!

Whenever I am questioned by my black brothers as to why I belong to a church who did not allow blacks to hold the priesthood until the 1970's, I politely remind them that we DID hold the priesthood much earlier in church history, and we hold it ever so dearly and strongly now. Then I remind them that the institution that I work for now, Texas State University-San Marcos, did not allow blacks to attend the college until 1969, and I have been teaching for them as an adjunct professor for over eight years. If blacks were to take an attitude of I am not participaing, joining or involving myself with any institutions which were negative to blacks in their past, I wouldn't get out to do much.

It's great to be alive in this dispensation!

Much Love and Respect,

Byron Lynn

7 comments:

Margo Clift said...

I am very grateful for the testimony of our "Black Mormon".
We love you all. May you be blessed for your dedication and commitment to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Families are forever, in Heavenly Father's plan.
I am thankful for our Eternal Family.

indeazgirl said...

I remember the day I told you about this whole race thing and the priesthood...I was so nervous! And so so impressed by your attitude and your ability to not get caught up in the past and instead to focus on the truth of it all. I respect you so much because of that.

Taste of Champaign said...

I think I will direct friends to this post when they want to know more about the issue of race in our religion!

Lisa Clift said...

Byron-

I am very proud of the way that you feel about your race and the gospel. You are an amazing man with an awesome testimony and a great example to me. I love you brother.
Lisa

Charly said...

You are amazing. I am looking forward to checking out that documentary.
~Charly Allred

Megs said...

I loved this post and really appreciate all you said. Way to go on the garden as well. I can't wait for a yard :)

Katie said...

I really loved reading about this Byron. That was a very wonderful post! Thank you for much for your testimony in here!